Monday, November 1, 2010

All Hallow's Eve: A Night of Ghouls, Fright, and Movies

My Halloween weekend was somewhat of a bore, but I did manage to see a plethora of excellent and not-so-excellent horror films. I managed to watch Rob Zombie's Halloween, the original Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street (2010) , The Strangers, The Ruins, and tid bits of cheesey made for TV movies, in a matter of two days. These were all mind numbing and entertaining, but the only movie I saw this weekend that was truly worth my while was Paranormal Activity 2.

As a prequel to the first Paranormal Activity, the creepiness of the film focuses on the homemade effect of the camera work. I know some people to find it nauseating, but in this case it entirely added to the eeriness. I'm not gonna lie, I am 100% aware of the visual effects and scripted writing, but there's still a part of me that believes it's actual footage. Or maybe I'm just paranoid because the supposed haunting takes place in my hometown of San Diego. Either way, the film has some gnarly scares that make the best of us jump out of our seats. Even the simple scares like kitcken cabinets opening or doors slamming on their own were enough to make me jumpy when I got home. The film is extremely slowing in the beginning (which might bother those seeking non-stop action), but I liked getting to know the characters and the feeling of intense tension building up to the terrifying climax. If you're looking for a chilling tale with a happy ending, this movie is not for you, but fear loving individuals like myself: you're in for an awesome time.

Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XbSk7Rjt4

No comments:

Post a Comment