Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Horror Movie Madness!

As a die hard movie fan I am willing to watch just about anything, but nothing sparks my fancy like a good old fashioned scary movie. Since I'm still on my Halloween kick I will be watching and reviewing horror films throughout October for you guys. Paranormal Activity 2, Saw 3D (which I am tragically addicted to), and Don't be Afraid of the Dark are on my agenda for the month. In the meantime here are some of my favorite movies for when I'm in the mood to be simply terrified:

  • The Exorcist (1973)- I had to put it on here. Any true horror fanatic will understand.
  • The Omen (2006)- I loved the remake. Thought the cinematography as well as the scares were extremely well executed.
  • The 6th Sense (1999)- Classic. Eery. Delightful acting.
  • Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)- Yet another classic starring my beloved Johnny Depp. Scares are a little dated, but never fail to entertain me. 1, 2, Freddy's coming for you...
  • The Ring (2002)- Demented little girl with mounds of black hair crawling out of a well. Enough said.
  • The Orphanage (El Orfanato) (2007)- Foreign horror films are always the scariest, especially this one. Some scenes had me jumping out of my seat.
  • Paranormal Activity (2007)- This was a debatable "love it or hate it" film. I loved it. Nothing ridiculously scary, but the simplest of things are sometimes the best. I also greatly appreciated the movie from a film makers point of view.
  • Let the Right One In (2008)/ Let me In (2010)- I thought both the Swedish and American versions were highly entertaining. Let me In (American) features more scares, but Let the Right One In stayed closer to the original plotline of the book. One may be more favorable depending on what mood you're in, but I would easily reccommend either of them.




    
    
    
    
    

    1 comment:

    1. A good list, but you need two more for an even Top 10. May I suggest "The Shining" and "The Grudge" (an American remake by the original movie's Japanese director)?

      ReplyDelete